I couldn’t have chosen a more appropriate last day at work. Yesterday on Halloween, I:
- dressed as Harry Potter
- won “best costume” at the UNT Libraries Halloween Party
- posed with Darth Vader (& brandished a chopstick-wand at him)
- ate brownies
- got groceries & makeup while in costume
- read articles about the Muppets (Wired & InStyle magazines) while eating sushi
The costume did its job, which was: keep people laughing and cause me to feel goofy enough not to cry.
Here are some photos of Harry’s Big Day!
From left to right…
- Row 1: Harry ponders his big day as he gets ready… Harry is afraid of his own eyebrows… Harry defends government information!
- Row 2: Harry worries about packing his office… Harry defeats Darth Vader… Harry kicks back with a Diet Coke. (He’s concerned about calories.)
- Row 3: Harry wins best costume… Harry thinks in the international foods aisle… Harry finds his favourite biscuits: Digestives!
- Row 4: Harry ponders makeup… Harry makes surprising purchases at Kroger… Harry finds another use for magic wands: as chopsticks for sushi!
The whole costume only cost me $8. Here’s what I used:
- eyebrows: mascara & black eyeliner pencil
- lightning scar: bronze eyeliner pencil
- face: covered my usual freckles with liquid foundation & powder
- glasses: $6 on Amazon.com
- hair: spray-on hair color, $2 at Target
- scarf: knitted it myself last year
- robe: my master’s graduation robes
- Gryffindor patch: printed a template in grey, traced it by hand with markers, “laminated” with tape, and attached with safety pins
- wand: fancy chopstick
- Hedwig (owl): borrowed from the roomie
- sweater, pants, shirt: in my closet
- shoes: Sketcher sneakers (also in my closet)
- tie: borrowed from the husband
- *ahem* flat chest: nature & an enthusiastic sports bra
- startled expression: already in my repertoire